Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ramblings on an Island

Unalaska is quite an amazing place with remarkable views.  I have learned that if there is blue sky you best take advantage ASAP.  It rarely lasts very long...

The picture to the left was from this morning's scamper up Mount Ballyhoo for the iconic view of Dutch Harbor.  The hike started with me peering out my window after sleeping in until 9AM...   I found perfect blue sky, no wind and 60 degree temperatures.  I was out the door by 9:30 headed to the ever-popular mountain on Amaknak Island.  

The city of Unalaska includes the port of Dutch Harbor (which is also located on the island of Amaknak) and community on the larger island of Unalaska.  In the foreground of the picture you can see the community's airport.  Farther back you can see a bridge which connects Amaknak to the larger island of Unalaska (where I am currently staying)..

My decision to run out the house was a good one as by 12PM winds picked up, and clouds were headed our way.  With wind gusts up to 20+mph and soon overcast, the conditions were a bit different than from when I started.  The locals would say these new conditions were down-right balmy ....   Apparently, I'm still happily adjusting to this new type of "summer weather".   

I have made a page with some of the images I have captured during some of my time here thus far..   Click on the page, "A View Like No Other" located in the right hand column.  When it comes down to it, regardless of weather a trip outside is always worth it.. 

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures Natalie! You're missing 90-degree temps here in NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat what's up? Excellent pictures! Hope you're enjoying it! It's Richie A. back @ home. It's been very hot and humid but now I'm down the shore for vacation and it's nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only a couple more days here on land... then Bering Sea bound on Monday.

    ReplyDelete